One short Book Review of two pages is required for History 132. Keep in mind that a book review is not a book report which you may have done in high school. For a book review you must include the following elements:
1. Author: Who is the author? What are the author’s qualifications for writing a book on the history of whatever is covered in your chosen book? Has the author ever won any awards?
2. Genre: What type of book is it? Is it history or is it biographical? Who do you believe is the intended audience for your book (in other words, do you believe it was written primarily to be used as an academic or scholarly source, like students writing term papers, or was it written for a wider, more general audience?).
3. Title: How does the title apply to the work? Does it convey what is in the book? Is it an interesting title? Is it not an interesting title?
4. Preface, Introduction, Table of Contents: Is there any information given by the author about the text in a preface or introduction? Is the preface or introduction written by the author or by a guest author? Is the book arranged logically by section or chapters?
5. Book Jacket, Cover, Printing: Book jackets can be like short previews of the book’s content. Does the book jacket provide any interesting facts about the book or author that grabbed your interest? Does the book contain informative or helpful photographs, maps, or graphs?
6. Formal book reviews may contain even more information and opinion. However, for the purposes of this class, you may limit your review to the items listed above.
a. One inch border
b. Times New Roman font
c. Font size: 12
d. Double Space
e. Number pages
f. Must be a minimum of 500 words
g. Cover sheet must be formatted as you see in the example posted in Moodle!
The book you choose for your Book Review must be selected from the following list:
(RCC) = Owned by RCC library (listed in Bold)
(RPL) = Owned by Randolph County Public Library
Book Title / Author / Call Number / (Owning Library)
List updated 11/12/19