Common knowledge includes information like this:
- painter of the Mona Lisa
- capitals of states and countries
- George Washington was the first president
- Columbus reached America in 1492
Don't be fooled:
- Everything on the Internet is considered common knowledge - WRONG! Unless it meets the criteria of common knowledge, you must cite your sources, whether found on the Internet or in print.
- Information found in an encyclopedia is considered common knowledge - WRONG! Encyclopedias contain lots of information, some of which is common knowledge and some of which is not.
- Facts found in newspaper articles are considered common knowledge - WRONG! Newspaper article do contain facts that may be consided common knowledge, but not everything included in a newspaper article is common knowledge.
When in doubt, check with your instructor or cite the information.