April 3, 1958* - Date Approved by State Board of Education
Fall 1961 - Construction Begins on First Building (Administration/Education Center)
September 4, 1962 - Official opening
1962 - First Training Program: Certificate (March)
1962 - First Continuing Education Classes (September)
1962 - First Curriculum Classes: Certificate/Diploma (September)
1965 - First Degree Programs Offered: A.A.S. (October)
1980 - Armadillo Mascot Approved (October 30)
1980- Reflex Blue & Silver Approved as Official School Colors (October 30)
2009 - Orange is added as one of the Official School Colors and
Spring 1957-Local business, educational, industrial and civic leaders, including Charles W. McCrary, Sr. made a bid to the N.C. Legislature for funds to locate a vocational-technical school in Randolph County. This was the first formal bid to be made in Raleigh. McCrary was elected to the State Board of Education in 1956.
Charles W. McCrary, Sr. (1902-1984)
The first class met in what is now room 115 of the Administration/Education Center. Standing from left to right are Robert E. Carey (Director of the Randolph Industrial Education Center) and Merton H. Branson (Associate Director). Seated from left to right are Guy B. Teachey (Superintendent of Asheboro City Schools); Dr. Frank Edmondson (Chairman of Asheboro City School Board); T. Henry Redding (Chairman of the Randolph Industrial Education Center Advisory Board); John L. Roberson (Electrical Technology Instructor); Malcolm H. Ritchie (Mathematics Instructor); Shelby V. Morgan, Jr. (Chemistry/Physics Instructor); Jack E. Steele, Jr. (Electronics Technology Instructor)l; Clarence M. Frazier (Machine Shop Instructor); Bryant N. Barden (Welding Instructor) and Lowell M. Whatley (Auto Mechanics Instructor).